Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy Fourth!

The Fourth of July has come and gone in Japan since it is on the cusp of the international dateline. Though this Fourth was firework-free, there are four firework festivals in the next 6 weeks just in Tokyo, so they will not be missed. This is my third time spending this holiday in a foreign country and it's understandably underwhelming. However, I had the pleasure of going to the world's tallest tower to celebrate so it could be worse!

My host mom and I went to "SKYTREE" which stands at 634 meters high.


An uber-fast elevator that goes 16 km/sec (10ish miles!) zooms to up to a lookout 350 meters high, and for a few more bucks you can go another hundred meters. (I think this second level is a bit redundant - at 350 meters all the buildings already resemble legos, but it was fun to take a second super speedy elevator.) This building opened in 2011 and it's had massive crowds ever since. On weekends, people will wait up to 7 hours to enter (in addition to the $20 entrance fee)!

Fortunately, we did not face these long lines on a weekday morning, and from the moment we stepped off the elevator we were in awe of this truly remarkable view. Besides making me realize how incredibly massive Tokyo is, it allowed me to straighten out this metropolitan web of a city and map where I've been and would like to go.


I spy Skytree's shadow!

What a collosal city!



Hope you're having a fantastic Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment