Saturday, August 9, 2014

Blood types in Japan

During one of my lessons, my student asked me what type of blood I have, which struck me as an odd inquiry. He was surprised and slightly concerned when I replied that I didn't know. In Japan, virtually everyone knows their blood type - my host siblings' luggage tags list their names, phone numbers, and blood type - and many use it to predict a person's character.

I've verified this with a number of Japanese people and while not all of them truly believe the characterizations, some of them were firm followers; one woman even said she took blood type into account when she went on dates. I don't have a solid understanding of the distinctions, but this is what I have gathered. I have also heard that there are charts with recommended nutrition for different blood types, but I don't know the details. If you know your blood type, check to see if you match these traits:

Type A: empathetic, organized, hospitable, detail-oriented, punctual, neat, calm in crisis, not a risktaker

Type B: independent, happy-go-lucky, optimistic, flexible, playful, party-hardy, likes company, risktaker

Type AB: a dreamer, spiritual, sensitive, private, studious, creative, curious

Type O: realistic, hard worker, ambitious, cautious, leader

I have two sets of host parents and in both couples the mom is type A and the dad is type B. Opposites attract, they told me. My hosts moms both think I'm type AB. Now I'm curious to find out!

2 comments:

  1. Katherine,

    I wonder to what extent this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If I, at a young age, discover that I'm Type O, and am told (and treated) by others that I am realistic hard worker, ambitious, cautious, leader, then would I on some level determine that these characteristics are my destiny? And therefore I must be those things and act in ways that support and reflect those characteristics? So its not really blood type causing those traits, but my knowledge of the supposed connection that leads to those traits.

    James in NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine,

    I recently read somewhere that someone had done a reserach on this to find there was no correlation between the blood types and the characteristics except among Japanese! I am just kidding. This "except among Japanese" part is not true.
    You must be leaving Japan soon. How was your trip to Kansai? Did you travel by yourself? Hope everything went all right.
    Jun

    ReplyDelete